Hot dogs are a growing trend in the food industry despite being a ballpark classic. Some think this trend is due to nostalgia felt when consuming this comfort food that reminds people of happy times at a baseball game or grill out. Not only are they a classic favorite, there are so many ways to serve them. The variability allows for unique combinations across drive-thrus and quick-service restaurants. Check out these 14 varieties of hot dogs found on menus across the U.S. found in the article from QRS.
- Chicago dog – an all-beef hot dog topped with yellow mustard, green relish, chopped onions, pickle spears, sport peppers, tomato slices, and celery salt on a poppy seed bun.
- Southwest Sonoran dog – a bacon-wrapped hot dog topped with pinto beans, grilled onions and green peppers, and tomatillo jalapeño salsa.
- Cincinnati Coney – a pork and beef hot dog topped with cinnamon and chocolate-tinged chili and Cheddar cheese.
- Junkyard Dog – a hot dog topped with chili, cheese, mustard, grilled onions, and french fries. This can be found at Wienerschnitzel’s.
- Blazin’ Dog – a hot dog with green jalapeño slices, a red jalapeño, and garlic hot sauce. This can be found at Wienerschnitzel’s.
- Pastrami Dog – a hot dog topped with pastrami, Swiss cheese, mustard, and a pickle, and a Bratwurst for Oktoberfest. This can be found at Irvine’s.
- Nathan’s Most Popular Hot Dog – a hot dog topped with sauerkraut or sautéed onions, along with ketchup, mustard, and relish.
- Traditional New York Empire Dog – a hot dog served with sauerkraut and spicy brown mustard. This can be found at Nathan’s.
- Homestyle Mac & Cheese Dog – a hot dog topped with macaroni & cheese and toasted Italian bread crumbs. This can be found at Nathan’s.
- Big Irish Corned Beef Dog – their New York Empire Dog with corned beef. This can be found at Nathan’s.
- All-American Dog - a hot dog with ketchup, mustard, relish, and onion. This can be found at Sonic.
- Sooo Cali – a hot dog served with arugula, basil aioli, crisp onions, avocado, and tomatoes. This can be found at Dog Haus.
- Das Brat - the hot dog’s cousin, a bratwurst, with mustard aioli, sauerkraut, White American cheese, and caramelized onions. This can be found at Dog Haus.
- Another Night in Bangkok - a hot dog topped with a spicy Thai currywurst, Thai peanut sauce, Asian slaw, and crushed peanuts. This can be found at Dog Haus.
Original article: Posted by QRS Magazine July 2016 by Barney Wolf.